Palmiers

I wanted to make palmiers ever since I tasted one when I was a child. I never knew the name of this sweet flaky dessert, so I was never able to look up a recipe. Today, I saw a palmier recipe posted on a food site, I immediately clicked it and started baking. I altered the recipe a little bit to fit my taste. This was a very simple and easy dessert to make! =]


Recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Pour 1 cup of the sugar on a flat surface such as wooden board or marble. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto the sugar and pour 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture on top, spreading it evenly on the puff pastry. This is not about sprinkling, it's about an even covering of sugar. With a rolling pin, roll the dough until it's 13 by 13-inches square and the sugar is pressed into the puff pastry on top and bottom. Fold the sides of the square towards the center so they go halfway to the middle.

Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough.

Then fold 1 half over the other half as though closing a book.You will have 6 layers.
Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Place the second sheet of pastry on the sugared board, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, and continue as above. (There will be quite a bit of sugar left over on the board.) Slice and arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment.

Bake the cookies for 6 minutes until caramelized and brown on the bottom, then turn with a spatula and bake another 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized on the other side. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.



1 comments :

Rachel @ Bakerita said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM

These have been my favorite dessert since like, EVER, and I can't believe they are so easy! The only other time I've ever made them I made homemade puff pastry, and never even considered this route. Definitely great for when I'm in a pinch. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...