I made the puff pastry dough, but you can always use store bought puff pastry sheets. The results are the same, although homemade puff pastry dough always taste better to me! =]
1 egg beaten
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1. Roll out pastry in between 2 sheets of parchment paper to thickness of 5mm. I used enough dough to get a 9" by 9" square. You can use more or less to make smaller or bigger squares depending on how much you want to make.
2. Mix beaten egg with 2 Tbsp of sugar.
3. Peel upper sheet of parchment paper and spread egg mixture evenly on top of pastry.
4. Sprinkle almond slices all over pastry.
5. Replace top sheet of parchment paper and lightly roll to press almonds onto pastry.
6. Remove upper parchment paper and sprinkle remaining sugar over almonds.
7. Put pastry into the freezer for half an hour to set the topping.
8. Preheat oven to 400F.
9. Cut pastry into 4 pieces or smaller depending on how cute you want them to look. ( I cut it to 4 squares, but you can make about 20 little logs too ) Place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. No need to grease baking sheet.
10. Bake for 15 mins on 400F or until flaky and golden.