Bacon Pralines

My boyfriend never tried candied bacon before, but he loves loves LOVES bacon. I actually don't care about bacon. He saw bacon pralines being advertised on television one day, and suggested I should make it. He wanted to try candied bacon from me first!

Believe me, I would never make this if I didn't have a boyfriend obsessed with bacon. The idea of sweets and bacon don't mix too well for me, although I heard people say bacon tastes better with everything - including ice cream. Bacon ice cream...eww. Haha, I never tried it...it actually may be good. If you have tried it, let me know if it is delicious!

The bacon pralines tasted pretty good, if you didn't tell me bacon was in it, I don't think I would have known. Without farther delay, the bacon praline recipe is below:

Ingredients

  • 1 pound thick-cut bacon
  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 1/4 cups pecans, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon table salt

Directions

You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 1 rimmed sheet pan with heavy foil and another with parchment paper.
Place a baking rack over the foil-lined sheet pan and arrange the bacon slices across the rack next to each other, but not overlapping. Bake until crispy, 15 to 18 minutes. When cool enough to handle, finely chop and set aside.
Reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees F.
In a small saucepan over moderate heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar, about 1 minute. Add the pecans and combine until the pecans are coated. Pour out onto another unlined sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Place the remaining 2 cups brown sugar into a 3-quart heavy saucepan, being careful to not get sugar on the sides of the pan. Add the cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and salt and cook over very low heat (do not let simmer), stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, until the sugar is dissolved, 10 to 15 minutes. Wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Clamp on a candy thermometer to the saucepan and boil the syrup over moderately-high heat until it registers 236 degrees F.
Remove the pan from the heat, leaving the thermometer in place, and let cool until the syrup registers 220 degrees F, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the bacon and pecans. Working quickly, drop 1 tablespoon of pralines onto the prepared parchment-lined sheet pan. If the mixture starts to harden, place back on the stove over moderately-low heat and let it melt. Let the pralines sit until they harden, about 45 minutes.



4 comments :

Jess @ Sugar High said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I have bacon sitting in the fridge waiting to be baked into something yummy. Your pralines look so good! Great sweet way to enjoy bacon... for those of us that like it, anyway! ;)

I do have a recipe for brown butter flavored ice cream with candied bacon bits on my blog. At first I was suspicious of the flavors, but that ice cream is BY FAR my favorite! I bet your boyfriend would love it! :)

Gwen said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Oh my, I must try that bacon ice cream recipe of yours. My boyfriend will thank you! =]

Dreams of cakes said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I never had bacon with sugar or chocolate before. I guess this must be very tasty!

briarrose said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Delicious combination of flavors. Bacon always adds that little something special.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...