Key Lime Pie Tarts

I visited my parent's house this week, and my boyfriend also came along. He wanted a key lime pie, but my parent's oven is broken. They have a small convection oven, but a 9" pie pan will not fit in it. That's how small it is. I came up with the solution to make key lime pie tartlets instead.


I used four 4.75" tart pans. They taste exactly the same as a real key lime pie, but it's in individual snack size!

Recipe:

Ingredients:

For Crust:
1 1/4 cups of graham cracker crumbs (approximately 9 cracker sheets)
2 Tbs sugar
5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

For Filling:
1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup of Key Lime Juice

For Topping:
3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
2 Tbs powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F.
Stir graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter together until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of each tartlet pan. Bake crust for 10 minutes and allow to cool on a rack. Leave oven on.

To make filling, whisk together condensed milk and yolks until well combined. Add in the lime juice and whisk all together. Pour filling into each tart crust, and bake for 15 minutes. Cool the pie completely, and refrigerate.

Before serving, whisk the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Add in powdered sugar and whisk until well combined. Serve on top of each key lime tart.

My parents also do not own a stand mixer, I made the whip cream with my hands and a whisk. My hand got super tired when I started to see the stiff peaks. If you own a stand mixer, please use it. Unless whisking by hand is your domain. =] 

I fill the crusts with the filling mixture:

The finished key lime pie tarts with hand whipped whip cream. The parents also don't have piping bags, I piped it by making a piping bag with parchment paper.



5 comments :

Jess @ Sugar High said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I don't know how I'd live if I had an oven that tiny! You came up with the perfect resolution. The pies are beautiful, and you don't even have to share! ;)

Gwen said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Thank you Jess! I could not survive with an oven that tiny. I love baking too much! However, my parents barely use it. I guess that is how they are surviving =]

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 10, 2011 at 7:00 PM

These are too beautiful to eat but I'm sure I could talk myself into it. I've got perfect tart pans and all the ingredients. Nuff said, off to cook! Yummy recipe.

Did you use food coloring? Mine never comes out that color without help. :)

Gwen said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hi Maureen, I did use food coloring. 2 green drops to be exact. I like the green hue more than the yellow color that the pie produces! =]

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
September 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM

If I use 3" tart pans should I change the bake time?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...