Opera Cake (Miniature and Bite-Size)

So, I wanted to make a cake with tons of layers. Then cut it up to petit four sizes for easy eating. I'm making these mini opera cake bites for my fiance's co-workers. It was the first cake I've made with this much layers. It was worth it, because the cake tasted super delicious. His co-workers were going crazy for these bite-size cakes.

So an opera cake is basically a coffee and chocolate cake. The flavor combination is absolutely delicious. The layers of different colors make it so pretty to look at. The cake took a long time to make, but I think it's worth it! Give it a try.


I basically followed Martha Steward's Opera Cake recipe, which can be found here. However, I didn't have any almond flour on me, so I made the cake layers with a pound cake instead.

Pound Cake:

Ingredients:
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons milk, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (150 grams) sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
13 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a large sheet pan with sides (Also known as a jelly roll pan). Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter or spray the paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), place the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar) and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds or until blended. Add the butter and half of the egg mixture. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about one minute to aerate and develop the cake's structure. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Gradually add the remaining egg mixture, in 2 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the egg and strengthen the cake's structure.  
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for about 15 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean.


Look at all those beautiful layers. Cut the cake up to 1 inch squares.





5 comments :

WineDineDaily said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
March 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Oh my Gwen, these look so tempting! 2 dozen please :)

George J. McGuire said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
March 25, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I love cake. specially chocolate cake. see those I cann't wait any more...

George J. McGuire
breville 800jexl

Christine Baesu said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I want to make these this weekend and was wondering what size pan you used to bake these in? Also how many pieces did you get from one recipe?

Gwen said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
April 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@Christine Baesu Hi Christine! I used a bakers half sheet to bake these. I think it's a 13 x 18 x 1. I baked two layers. Cut each layer into 2 parts (4 pieces total). I used 3 pieces, and saving the last (4th piece) for cake pops. I think I got about 90 pieces from these. I cut them quote small - 1 inch squares. You can cut them bigger though.

Carole said... Best Blogger Tips [Reply to comment] Best Blogger Templates
May 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Hi Gwen, today I'm collecting cake recipes. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post in my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...