By Gwen on |
So I got an Ultimate decorating kit for Christmas, and I started playing with the rose making tools for fondant. I made an easy tutorial so you can make beautiful roses with fondant too! I made a New Years cake with the beautiful roses.
First off, you need fondant. You can by some from Michaels or make your own. I made a marshmallow fondant that can be found here.
The only special tools you need are (picture below):
and a ball tool
I read online that you need wires for the roses to dry on, but I just used toothpicks and a styrofoam block.
So lets begin making roses! They are quite simple.
1. Make small tear drop shapes fondant pieces and stick them on the toothpicks. Allow them to dry for an hour before moving on to step two.
2. Roll out the fondant as thin as you can. The thinner it is, the more realistic the flower looks. The fondant should almost be transparent. Cut out several pieces using the rose cutter.
3. Make five 1/4 inch long cuts in the rose at each petal. Place one of the pieces on the thin foam. Using the balling tool, with half the ball on the fondant and half on the foam, gently roll the edges of each piece so that it thins out the rose petals.
4. Poke the center of the rose piece with one of the toothpicks. Then wrap one of the petals around the teardrop.
5. Alternating between the petals, wrap the rest of the petals around the tear drop. Brush on a little water to help make it stick.
6. To make a bigger rose, add a second layer of rose petals to the rose bud just like above. Remember to use the ball tool again. Alternate between petals again.
7. To make a full bloom rose, add another layer, for a total of three layers.
8. Roll out some green fondant and use the second cutter. Using the balling tool with thin foam, roll from the edge to the center of each piece.
9. Hold the flower upside down, push the green piece through the center on to the toothpick. Slide it all the way down to the flower, apply some water to attach.
These are what a rose bud, rose, and full bloom rose looks like:
I hope this tutorial helps you make beautiful roses too!